Overseas Visitors

Visitors from overseas wishing to marry in Australia:

People from all over the world come to our beautiful country to get married and the process is very simple.

The legal obligations as set out in this website under “Your Legal Obligations” apply to both Australian residents, as well as overseas residents.

However, here are some useful tips if you are an overseas resident planning to marry in Australia.

  • You would be wise to choose an Australian Marriage Celebrant from this website. Someone who will be authorised and experienced in being able to advise you of the process. You will be taken through each step and shown how straightforward it really is to be married in Australia.
  • Firstly, download a Notice of Intended Marriage (NIM) at www.ag.gov.au (or your celebrant will email this form straight to you on request).
  • Once you have completed all the required details you will need to have your signatures witnessed by an authorised person, those persons are listed on the Notice just below where you sign (page 4).
    IMPORTANT: It must be one of those persons otherwise the Notice will not be valid and your celebrant will not be able to accept it and lodge it for you.
  • Best practice is to go to either an Australian Embassy in your country, or if this is not convenient, find a Notary Public. A Notary Public is a lawyer often found in a Solicitor’s office; however please remember that that not all lawyers are Notaries. Notaries are available worldwide.
  • Your celebrant will require you to email the Notice of Intended Marriage form to them immediately, and will request that soon after, you post the original Notice to them via registered airmail.

Requiring a Fiancé Visa?

Australian Marriage Celebrants are not permitted to offer prospective brides or grooms advice on Immigration matters. However, the process of a Fiancé Visa (Prospective Spouse Visa) does require you to lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage (NoIM) with your chosen celebrant. Your celebrant will then provide you with a letter, addressed to the Embassy where you plan to lodge your application, confirming that they have received a Notice from you for a marriage to take place on a particular date, in Australia.

You will have to nominate a date for the actual marriage, even though, very often, this date may have to change. The original Notice must remain with your celebrant at all times, however your celebrant will provide a copy to you if required.

Contact one of our members today. We are all here to assist you in whatever way we can.